Sunday, July 10, 2011

Happiness is a new pair of Running Shoes... or THREE!

After a short week at work, we are getting ready for the wonderful end of the quarter grind. And in my spare time, I have to find some time to go over training materials that I will be starting to deliver Aug 1.

So, what to do to relax over the weekend? Wait...wait... don't tell me...

I got it. Get up at 5:30 on Saturday and go for a run. Yes, I said. 5:30... AM. The Lifetime Fitness Run Club met this week at Hill Country Running on Parmer. A nice run that didn't include T&C Optimist Park? Yes please.

After the group gathered, we had a little discussion on finding the right shoe, lef by Troy of HCRC. Which reminded me, I need to retire the Brooks Adrenaline 10 that I ran San Antonio. Well, in Michael Jordan fashion, I needed to retire them a second time. I initially tried after the SA Marathon, but the Brooks Racer ST-4 that I chose were tearing up my knees. Too fast into a more minimal shoe? Too many miles? Perhaps. So I broke the Adrenalines back out. Much past the 400 mile mark, they needed to go. Fortunately, we were running from a store.









I picked up three new pair of shoes... for road work, the Brooks Adrenaline 11. Hey... if it ain't broke...

For track/speed work, the Saucony Fastwitch 4.


And for overall balanced shoes, the Mizuno Wave Eclipse 6.


Oh, and I got two free reusable grocery bags with them. As if I didn't have 15 in my house already.

After I got home, it was time to take Elvie to the vet for her first check up. She did extremely well, and goes back Saturday for her boosters.





Then, after a quick stop at TacoDeli for some Steak and Chicken Fundido, and it off to look at some river front property in Blanco. I can say this definitively... the Texas Drought is depressing as hell. Very little water in the river. God we need some rain. Please.



Yes, that is the Blanco River. Sorta.

Sunday morning coming down. On my head.

Joined the Lifetime Cycle Club for a Parmer Road out and back this morning. My friend Amy Carlton is in town to watch Jason umpire at the Round Rock Express, so she decided to join us for the ride. Only one issue... she forgot water bottles and her helmet.

Water bottle? Easy. I have a couple of extra. Borrow one of mine.

Helmet? Not so easy. But not tough. This is why I PREACH to work with local running and bike shops. I stopped in to see Mark Bittman at AJ's Cyclery to see if I could borrow a helmet for Amy. Kind of embarrassing since I did the same last Sunday for me. But, no issues. Sure. Got one to loan.



Of course, when we dropped it back off today after lunch, Amy and I spend about $100 on gear at the shop. And I have the target for my next ride. Lightspeed!


Have a great day, and go do something!

2 comments: