Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Bad Girls and Puppy Breath

Sometimes spontaneity is a good thing. On Tuesday, Shana Watson and Kaitlin Nelson decided they needed to get out of Dallas for a little while. What better road trip than to visit the Token Foodie in Austin.

Shana had to take the pups to the groomers, but they were done about 1:30 and hit the road to Austin. After following the erroneous GPS instructions (yes, there is a large field at the end of my street) they pulled in about 5:30. Introductions around (had to introduce Jina and Rocky) and we head off to visit Shady Grove down near Zilker Park. A couple of margaritas, some chips and queso, and good dinners made the good conversation even better.











Of course, during the course of dinner, I revealed that "The Mother Ship" for foodies was around the corner. Yes, we had to go to Whole Foods. It was truly an eclectic checkout... cupcakes, mini cannolis, Hawaiian salt, wine, and a Maui Brewing Co Bikini Blonde.






You can't make your first trip to Austin and not visit the Capital. Of course, the Capital is closed at night, but we could at least visit the north steps. And this time, no Capital Police were to be found.







Travel back to the house, chat a little more, and then the evening has to come to an end because Kaitlin had to work on Wednesday morning. So we say goodnight, and the Bad Girls head back to Dallas (yes, Beth, they made it safely... my brains are safe.)

Wednesday is a big day in our house. It is the day that Jina and I prove that we are clinically insane. Not only do we have a 5 month old French Brittany, but on Wednesday, we brought home our 7 week old Lab... Thanks to Kristi Lankford for her efforts and attention to Mom and Pups for the last 4 months!!! May I present Roaring Star Lady Victory (aka Elvie!)







It is going to take some time for Rocky to adjust, but I think it will be a good thing... a calming influence. Wait, did I just call a 7 week old Lab a calming influence?






Of course, what would a Token Foodie blog be without FOOD? So, here ya go. Super simple dinner. Salad of carrots, radishes, and red turnips dressed with lime and EVOO... and tequila lime shrimp. Simple, taaty.





So, remember, when life challenges you... hang around Bad Girls... eat Good food... and relish in (not) Ugly puppies!!!

5 comments:

  1. First of all, I appear to be intoxicated in like all of these pictures, but that was not the case.

    Second... PUPPIES!!! Awwwwww!!!

    Third, I insist that you cook next time. Srsly.

    And finally, thanks for accommodating our impromptu visit! It is always a treat to see you and it was a delight to finally meet Jina! It's just the icing on the cupcake that I was also able to experience a part of Texas that I hadn't seen before. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Austin again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a reminder... I OFFERED to cook... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for bad girl visit and omg CUTEST puppy ever!!!! I wants one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok...so you have 2 new puppies and I have a new puppy. We need to get together and have a puppy play group.

    I don't have the yard, or another hyper puppy to wear my puppy out. :)

    ReplyDelete