Sunday, June 5, 2011

Self Advocacy

One of the greatest joys of the last 20 months has been the relationships I have formed, the friends I have made, the mentor/mentee interactions I have made.

12 months ago, I interviewed for a new role at work. I didn't know too much about the people interviewing me. The day after my interview, one of the managers sought me out in the hall at work. I was, to say the least, perplexed because I hadn't ever really talked to her in my 4 years at work.

She mentioned that she had noticed my weight loss successes to date, and was investigating WLS herself. A few months later, tons of questions, a lot of investigation on her part, she had a VSG and chose the surgeon I had (the best in town IMHO...) Of course, she set her up for success as well and has followed her eating program quite well. And as soon as allowed, she added in the exercise program.

So, this morning, at 6:30AM, I rolled out of the house on my Felt to ride down to Decker Lake to watch Lori Nunez compete in her first Danskin Triathlon. Of course, I can't make anything easy. 3 miles out, I flatted my back tire. And then broke two tire tools trying to change it. Thanks to Jina for coming to pick me up, and then I headed down to the Travis County Expo Center for the race. I did get some exercise in because I had to park a mile and a half from the transition zone (no kidding, 20 minute walk each way...)

But this isn't about me... this is about Lori. The Danskin is an all woman's tri... so, I had to find Lori out of about 1600 women. Funny thing, I spend all my time at these things checking out the cool Cervelo's and Fuji's... and looking for my friends. Lori his the T1 and looked great. A smile on her face, and bounce in her step. And 12 miles of riding to go.

I missed her at T2, so i headed down to the finish line. Hooked up with her training group, Tri Zones. LOTS cheering, cowbells, and triathletes... and here comes Lori.




She can now say she has done something I haven't... a triathlon.

Congrats Lori! You RAWK!!! Remember, after everything, you have to advocate for yourself, and accomplish YOUR goals! Way to go, so proud of you.

1 comment: