Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Pawning History

Why do I watch Pawn Stars? All it does is piss me off. People (really stupid people who have never watched the show before) walk in with pieces of history and want to sell them to a pawn shop. Then, these brain surgeons working there start handling these pieces of history like they are a deck of cards at the Bellagio. And, to "authenticate" items, they call in an "expert" to evaluate, including a curator of the Clark County Museum. NOT ONCE does anyone put on a pair of gloves, suggest that the piece belongs in a museum... And then of course comes the low ball offer. And the idiot seller takes it.

On top of that, the "negotiation" is only swapping numbers. No positioning, no reasons... only "I want $1000. How about $5? Take $900? How about $6? and on and on..." God, it just pisses me off. I can only imagine what my archivist sister thinks?

Anyway... guess that means I should do something good for myself... How about I cook dinner? Sure. Let's bust out the kitchen!

Take out the mandolin, slice up some mixed squash...slice some shitakes and criminis, and a red onion. Oh, and the two fresh jalepenos out of my herb "garden..."

Make some Himalayan Red Rice. Pretty much like every other rice recipe. 1 cup rice, 2 cups water, salt.

A couple of chicken breasts. Salt, pepper, garlic and oregano. Pan sautee.

Easy, tasty... oh, and one heck of a pungent Dai Due Fireman's 4 Mustard vinegarette. Nice counter point to the garlicy chicken...





2 comments:

  1. I HATE HATE HATE HATE Pawn Stars. This amazing piece is worth a bazillion dollars and I'll give you $5 and people just SELL.

    Especially when they have a specific genre like a music collectible and I always scream why didn't they sell it to a music collector who would pay!

    Also, they breathe heavy and it is horrific. I do not like hearing heavy breathers.

    (J watches it and sometimes I have the misfortune of coming in on it and bitch all the way through it

    what is this Dai Due Fireman's 4 mustard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dai Due Fireman's 4 is a local mustard I get through my CSA... if you want, I can order you a jar next time and send it along... think its like $7 or $8...

    ReplyDelete