Sunday, June 12, 2011

Tiaras, Pimp Hats... and Blogger fail...

...multiple Blogger fails this afternoon... let's try it one more time.

As I have mentioned before, one of the best things about my post WLS life has been the support I have been offered by my friends and family, and almost as important, the support I have been able to offer many others as they make their way down the WLS pathway. This past weekend, I was honored to be invited to speak at the second Bariatric Bad Girls Club (North Texas Chapter) support group meeting.

First of all, props to Kaitlin Nelson (www.TheBypassedLife.com) and Shana Watson (http://canticles.wordpress.com/) for creating this local version of the BBGC to offer support to other WLS patients in the Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex that feel their traditional support structure was lacking. They asked me to speak to something that is near and dear to my heart, Endurance Athletics and the Bariatric Patient. This would be my "speaking debut." I have of course spoken informally at my local support groups, and made a "dry run" on Thursday night at the Seton group (but it was very small.) Thank again, Shana and Kaitlin, for having the confidence in me to include me in your group. You gals rock, and I love you both!

I rolled out of Austin Friday afternoon. Pointed the nose of the Dodge north and put the miles down. Picked up Michelle Scheiner (www.vsgmom.com) up at D/FW... Did you know they are the only place in Texas where another city's toll tag doesn't work? Really? I can only use a Dallas Toll Tag at D/FW? I can use my TxTag all over the rest of the state... so I was the one who screwed up the Toll Tag only lane on the way out of the airport. Anyway, as I was driving into Ft Worth, I was reminded that WLS is all around us.


We check in to our rooms at the hotel, freshen up and then head to dinner. So, I drove 3 1/2 hours to meet my WLS friends for dinner at... drum roll please...


We were met at the door by Shana, Kaitlin, Shawn Harrell, and Melissa Stevens (http://meliphyre.wordpress.com/), margaritas in hand! So refreshing to see good friends, even though a couple of them I have only met online before. We get a table, those without grab a tasty beverage, and proceed to dig into the good stuff that Chuy's offers. A little Chicka Chicka Boom Boom was shared by Kaitlin, Mel and Shana, a little Baja style chicken taco on my side, and of course, the world famous Chuy's CREAMY JALEPENO RANCH!






Fun dinner, better conversation. A great time was had by all. The night ended, well, with some interesting events, but that is not my place to comment on. Back to the hotel, get some rest, up early the next morning for a little BBGC Run/Walk at White Rock Lake.

8AM meet up. 5 wonderful ladies and 1 Token. We decided to go about an hour and get what you can. Run, Walk, Crawl. Whatever makes you happy. Varying degrees of fitness, but everyone got somewhere between 4 and 6 miles. Congrats to everyone that made the effort! Even Michelle, who stated she would grab a Starbucks and a shady tree got out and hit the pavement!




We all load up and head over to Shana's church for the real reason we gathered, the BBGC meeting. I get there, pull out the laptop and grab my flash drive with the Dallas presentation on it... wait, where is my drive? Efff!!! WTH? Luckily, I had a baseline copy of the PowerPoint, and about 10 minutes later, I make the localized changes and we are ready to go. A great crowd shows up, about 20 lovely women and 1 other BBB. Lots of great questions, lots of interaction. A wealth of knowledge in the room, and even a couple of pre-op newbies. Spoke for about an hour and then we broke for lunch.






Where was lunch you ask? Well, I am embarrassed to admit, as a self proclaimed foodie, I have never tried Ethiopian cuisine. Thanks to my BBGC sisters for opening me eyes. In a word? DELISH! Tasty, spicy, flavorful... pick one. Great stuff. I highly recommend you find an authentic Ethiopian place and dig in!





Rest break... back to the hotel. Watch the Aggie baseball game. Try to nap. Not so successful at the last. Get showered, dressed, grab Michelle, and head to Shana's apartment to get ready for dinner. The ladies don their jingle butt scarves and handmade tiaras (thanks Mel!) and they present me with the wonderous $$$ purple pimp style hat!



Where to go for dinner? How do you get 7 people to decide quickly on a cuisine? One word... SUSHI! Easy Peasy. Load up in the truck, a truckful of beautiful women and one Token... Head over to Sushi Sake. Michelle has a rough go of it as they are out of uni and toro... but we all find something we like. A traditional place, the menu is not cluttered with Americanized maki. Wonderful gyoza, beautiful aji, and some shrimp and snow crab. A lovely meal!






Dinner. Check. Now time to party! Roll out to Outer Marker, a wonderful dive bar for some karaoke. Only bad thing? No cream in the house... so no Caucasian to be found. Oh well, Parrot Bay and Malibu it is. The BBGC rocked the house! Keisha, Shana, Michelle St John and Mel belting out the tunes! Everyone dancing. Getting compliments all around! A fun time had by all. Again, its amazing how a group of people that have never met in real life (or very few have) can come together, having shared some common issues and challenges, and have a great time! I absolutely love you gals! Thanks for including the Token in your festivities.
(photo courtesy of Kaitlin Nelson)

(photo courtesy of Kaitlin Nelson)

(photo courtesy of Kaitlin Nelson)














So glad I was able to be a part of this weekend. I loved hanging out with my BBGC gals! Loved the support and love that was offered by all in attendance. Made the long drive home this morning... well, after I made a wrong turn and ended up in Lewisville. Guess I should have turned on the GPS huh?


Happy to be home. Made it in time to watch the Aggie/FSU Super Regional. Wish I hadn't. It was a rough night for my Ags tonight though... only managed 3 field goals in the ass kicking the Seminoles put on us. Oh well, tomorrow, Wacha takes the bump and will send the Ags to that little berg across the river from Council Bluffs, IA. Gig Em Ags!


Back to the really reallies tomorrow. Love one another. Support each other. Support yourself. <3

7 comments:

  1. I am OH so jealous of you guys! Wish I lived further South!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are She an Athlete? *LOL*

    Thanks so much for giving us your time. I think a lot of people were inspired by your presentation. You did a fabulous job! And what a fun time we all had together!!! You look good in purple. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh crap Shana... I didn't catch the typo!!!

    I had an absolute blast, all weekend. Thanks again for the invite, See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a great deal of fun was had by all...and support...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous post! Don't hang around those bad girls too much. You might catch a really bad case of glitteritis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a gliter bomb went off in the back of my truck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh. Sorry about that. I accept full responsibility.

    ReplyDelete